Saturday, July 24, 2010

We are what we art


I believe the preference of art usually comes from one's own propensity towards specific characteristics of the preferred style. Upon evaluating my own choices in these areas, I began to recognize distinctive patterns; patterns that reflected my very own nature. For instance, I've always been drawn to Cubism art which is generally known for its angular, broken glass, abstract appearance. Its style has been referred to as "methodical destruction". What an appropriate word to describe me I thought, when I saw it sitting on my screen in perfect contradiction. I have a tendency to break things up, analyze the fragments, and reassemble them in a manner which creates new wholes that form different impressions, much like the effect of Cubism art. I am by no means saying I have the vision of revolutionary artists like Picasso or Braque, however, I can definitely relate. Unlike them, I try to draw my pictures with words, and often find that I am tangled up in a blurred, and broken patch of literary confusion that somehow makes perfect sense to me. I imagine these Cubism artists to have had the same affinity for that type of haphazard, yet logical reconstruction of ideas. Their pieces can always be viewed in a multitude of perspectives, leaving it up to the audience to decide which standpoint they relate to the most. When I think of how I prefer to communicate with people, I find similarities to that particular artistic intent as well. Offering different perspectives, alongside my own, I urge others to figure out which point of view they can identify with themselves and encourage them to follow that line of thought until it results in a decision or realization.
Cubism marks the first real beginning to abstract art, which to me, also reveals the relationship between what is logical and what is seemingly chaotic. As I search for words to describe certain beliefs I have, I often find it difficult to communicate my abstract ideas. It's as if I need to illustrate it somehow, whether with colorful metaphors or with a flow chart on a piece of paper. Each successive idea makes sense but when you step back and look at it as one unit, there are infinite places to start and stop, and to the unfamiliar, may even look nonrepresentational as a whole.
I guess what draws me to this particular brand of art is the misunderstood contradictions. If I'm ever asked to describe myself, I almost always end up using tons of contrasting descriptors. Personally, I love contradictions. I think it's fascinating to have diametrically opposing beliefs because I don't think thought is always meant to be congruent. Perfect representation is elusive for a reason. Our ability to perceive things from an unbounded number of angles is what makes the world more interesting.

1 comment: