Sunday, July 11, 2010

These Thoughts

These Thoughts

Not really nightmares, not quite dreams
These thoughts of happiness, torn apart at the seams.
Closing my eyes, trying to erase these sweet memories,
They taunt me and tickle me, as if they’re my enemies.

Like little children tugging at their mothers’ shirts,
Except these thoughts are sinister, the biggest flirts.
Trying to ignore them, I keep pushing them away,
Like unwanted houseguests, they keep wanting to stay.

Circling, lowering, clawing me apart,
These thoughts are like scavengers, feeding off of my heart.
Each one trying to replace what was left from before,
My memories keep fighting back, my will is growing sore.

Tossing them, neglecting them, I even attack,
Like a boomerang, these thoughts just keep coming right back.
Turned off the light, pretended not to be home,
They came in through the window; they came in through this poem.

I scream “go away”, tell them to stop knocking on my door,
I guess these thoughts are a part of me, forever more.
Surrendering and yielding, I hope they’ll soon get bored,
But they’ll never detach, they’ll never cut the cord.

I lock them up in my mind, and throw away the key,
But these thoughts somehow just keep getting free.
They’re growing old alongside me, whether I like it or not,
I don’t think I’ll ever get rid of these pestering, sweet thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment